Friday, January 7, 2011

The Power of Seitan

If you want a bit of fun, or are looking to thoroughly confuse a grocery store employee, I suggest going to a big box grocery store, like Stop and Shop (or Meijer, for all you Michiganders) and ask someone if they have seitan (pronounced much like Satan) in the store.  I guarantee you will be met with quizzical, if not somewhat alarmed looks, followed shortly with, “What?  What IS that?”  You explain that seitan is wheat gluten, a protein that is often used as a meat substitute.  They think, and then lead you to what I refer to as the “fake meat” section of the grocery store, where you will invariably find tofu, and depending on the store, a small variety of other meat-ish products.  If it’s a good grocery store, they might even have pre-made falafel.  They will likely not have seitan. 

The lack of availability of seitan in mainstream grocery stores is a pity.  I’m not big on fake processed meat substitutes (though Gimme Lean sausage is a guilty pleasure), and I’m not crazy about tofu either.  The common conception is that vegetarians eat a lot of tofu, and maybe some do, but I rarely cook with tofu.  I prefer to cook with bean and grain combos (which combine to make a complete protein), mushrooms, and a wide range of veggies rather than leaning heavily on meat substitutes.  The main problem with tofu and other soy-based meat alternatives is that most soy produced in the United States is genetically modified.  The risks of eating GMO foods are numerous, and most GMO foods have been banned in Europe due to a lack of research on the safety of GMOs in the human food supply.  Therefore, leaning heavily on soy-based meat alternatives is risky business for vegetarians concerned about GMO foods.  (For more info on GMO foods, check out Jeffrey Smith’s website). 



Seitan, on the other hand, comes from wheat, which is not genetically modified, and is also more “meat-like” than tofu.  I love to use it for chili, and have made this recipe several times.  Once, at a party, a guest who arrived late missed my explanation of what was in the chili.  After finishing his bowl, he commented on how good it was, and asked what was in it.  When I explained that it was vegetarian chili, he was surprised that it didn’t have meat in it, and seemed slightly shocked that it was so delicious.  So, I have found seitan to be a crowd-pleaser even with non-vegetarian types. 

But where to buy it, if not at Stop and Shop or Meijer?  Luckily, an alternative exists to big box, chain grocery stores.  Food Co-ops are great places to find natural, organic, and local food and goods.  I have had luck finding seitan at co-ops, as well as many other slightly quirky ingredients in vegetarian recipes.  Many co-ops are similar in format to grocery stores, adding a level of convenience and familiarity to newcomers to the food revolution.  Co-ops are member-owned and founded on democratic principles.  The structure varies depending on organization, but all follow the Rochdale Principles, 7 principles of operation for cooperatives.  The concept of a cooperative organization is obviously broader than natural food stores (think credit unions), and offers an organizational strategy that is more democratic and allows for an escape from corporate control.  These are the 7 Rochdale Principles:

  1. Voluntary and open membership
  2. Democratic member control
  3. Member economic participation
  4. Autonomy and independence
  5. Education, training, and information
  6. Cooperation among cooperatives
  7. Concern for community
These principles are especially appealing in the context of food supply, since food is vital to life and health, so having control over where your food comes from and what is in it is important.  Buying food at a co-op is a form of resistance against corporate control of the food supply, as well as community engagement and support of local producers.  Most co-ops are open to the public, so you don’t even have to be a member to shop there.  I encourage everyone to find a co-op near you.  The National Cooperative Grocers Association has many members around the country, and Local Harvest is a great resource not only for natural food markets and co-ops but farms and farmers markets as well.  (Note that these lists are not complete, for instance, Fiddleheads Food Co-op in New London is in neither directory- a Google Maps search is also suggested). 

The notion that organic or natural food is more expensive is a common one, so some people may shy away from co-ops due to cost.  However, I argue that even if the cost is higher, it is worth it to know you are buying quality food that is likely organic, GMO-free, and supporting local farmers.  Also, as this comparison chart from the Willimantic Food Co-op shows, buying food at a co-op is not necessarily more expensive.  Many co-ops also have large bulk food sections, which often have a price advantage over buying individually packaged goods.  The benefits of the co-op far outweigh the cost, and often the cost is similar to that of any other food options.

Join the revolution!  Shop at a food co-op!

Below are some of my favorite co-ops, obviously relevant to areas where I have lived or spend a lot of time.  Seeing as most of the people who read this also are in those areas, I include these profiles:

Michigan
  • ELFCO was the first co-op I shopped at regularly, and thus holds a special place in my heart.  Though small, the co-op has a great atmosphere, friendly staff, and a surprisingly wide range of produce, national brand organic products, and locally produced dairy products, produce, and household goods.  Conveniently located within walking distance of the Number 1 CATA bus route, ELFCO played a huge role in my cooking endeavors while I was at Michigan State University.

Connecticut
  • Located in downtown New London, CT, Fiddleheads is the lone southeastern Connecticut food co-op.  Though small and with slightly higher-than-average prices, Fiddleheads is a great resource for local produce at their Saturday farm markets, as well as a location where raw milk from Connecticut dairies is available for purchase.  With planned expansions and improvements on the way, Fiddleheads is definitely up and coming on the New London grocery scene.

  • This co-op wins my award for best in Connecticut.  A fairly large store with a wide variety of products, friendly staff, first time visitor discounts, and a sunnily landscaped streetfront, the Willimantic Food Co-op is a great reason to visit Willimantic, home to another of my favorite places, CafĂ©mantic.

Vermont
  • Located in Montpelier, the capitol of Vermont, Hunger Mountain is a delightful store in walking distance of charming downtown.  A large co-op, including a deli and hot food buffet, Hunger Mountain is an example of the thriving co-op scene in Vermont.  My local sources seem to quite enjoy shopping at Hunger Mountain, and I myself am partial to their Green Monster deli sandwich.

  • I have already written about City Market in this blog, and it is a Burlington favorite.  City Market boasts a wide variety of foods, as well as a prepared foods buffet and an excellent deli (with exceptionally helpful staff).  City Market is located close to many downtown Burlington attractions.
Obviously this is a limited selection, and I encourage everyone to locate a co-op near them.  It’s a great place to shop, and to find seitan without harassing Stop and Shop employees. 

Until next time!  Happy eating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment